NC Dinos ace Eric Peddy repaid the team’s wait with a perfect throw. He wiped away his injury misfortune and even set a new record in his KBO League fall baseball debut.
NC won 9-5 against KT Wiz in the first game of the 2023 Shinhan Bank SOL KBO Postseason Playoffs (3 wins out of 5) held at Suwon KT Wiz Park on the 30th.
The highlight of NC’s victory was Peddie, who appeared as a starting pitcher. Peddie silenced the KT lineup with 3 hits, 1 home run, 1 walk, 12 strikeouts, and 1 run in 6 innings.
He pitched aggressively, including a two-seam fastball with a top speed of 155km, and his main weapon, a sweeper with flashy movements. He efficiently threw a total of 98 balls with a cut fastball and change-up. Excluding the solo home run allowed to leadoff hitter Moon Sang-cheol in the bottom of the third inning, the expression ‘perfect’ would not be a waste.
In the bottom of the 5th inning, which was the only critical point, with 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd base, KT veteran infielder Kim Sang-soo struck out and did not allow a run. In the bottom of the 6th inning, the KT attack also recorded a quality start+ pitching while handling a three-way strike.
While the NC batting line provided strong scoring support with 1 run in the 1st and 2nd innings, 2 runs in the 3rd, and 4 runs in the 4th inning, Peddie led the team to victory with a pitch worthy of the title of ace.
Peddie expressed his thoughts, saying, “It was a big help as the batters raised a lot of scores early in the game,” and added, “I want to continue to improve without any problems until the Korean Series.”
Peddie signed a contract with NC this year and stepped on the Korean stage for the first time. He dominated the KBO league with 30 games, 181⅓ innings, 20 wins, 6 losses, an ERA of 2.00, and 209 strikeouts in the regular league. He achieved the ‘Triple Crown’ feat by winning the titles in most wins, earned run average, and strikeouts.
The first pitcher to record 20 wins and over 200 strikeouts in a single season was born 37 years after Sun Dong-yeol of Haitai in 1986 (39 games, 24 wins, 6 losses, 6 saves, ERA 0.99, 214 strikeouts).
Fedi summoned Seon Dong-yeol in the playoffs as well. With 12 strikeouts in the first game on this day, he broke the record for most strikeouts (11) in a single playoff game held by Doosan Chris Flexen in 2020 and Haitai Sun Dong-yeol in 1987, and engraved his name in KBO League history.
NC was initially classified as a low-ranking powerhouse, but with the pillar of Peddy supporting the team, it finished the regular league in 4th place. After winning the first combined championship in the 2020 season, the team earned an invitation to fall baseball, shaking off the disappointment of failing to advance to the postseason for the past two years.
However, Peddie suffered the misfortune of being hit in the shoulder by a batted ball during his last appearance in the regular season against the KIA Tigers on the 16th. Fortunately, he did not suffer a major injury, but was unable to take the mound in the wild card game against the Doosan Bears and the semi-playoffs against the SSG Landers.
NC showed its potential even in Peddie’s absence. After defeating Doosan 14-9 in the wild card game, they swept SSG, ranked 3rd in the regular league, in the semi-playoffs with 3 consecutive wins in games 1, 2, and 3. They succeeded in advancing to the playoffs with an unexpected upset.
Fedi, who recovered from injury, dominated the first game of the playoffs. Because there were no actual pitches for two weeks, there were concerns about his physical condition and pitch, but with pitching that showed off his health, NC laid the foundation for heading to the Korean Series.
He expressed strong dissatisfaction with the umpire’s call for a strike when Moon Sang-cheol walked and got on base with one out in the bottom of the fifth inning, but quickly regained his composure and took charge of the mound until the sixth inning.
“There was some excitement because it was a very important game, but I immediately regained my composure because I knew it was a very difficult task for the referee,” Peddie explained.
Meanwhile, in the past 32 KBO playoffs, which were held with 3 wins out of 5, the probability of the team winning the first game advancing to the Korean Series is 78.1% (25th). NC is dreaming of another upset in the playoffs following the semi-playoffs.
▲If you could explain the pitching in the first game of the playoffs
– It was a great help in solving the game as the batters had a lot of RBIs in the early part of the game. We were able to win because of this part.
▲The wait was long. How did you prepare and what thoughts did you have
– I focused on resting intensively to return to as healthy a state as possible. As you can see today, I was able to win the game, and I think I got a lot of help from resting for about 10 more days.
▲The team that wins Game 1 has a high probability of advancing to the Korean Series. Is there anything you are looking forward to?
– If you think about NC’s culture when you come to Korea, it is that any player thinks they will win today from the moment they enter the stadium. Even before the postseason started, many teams thought NC was underdogs, but we are on a 5-game winning streak. I want to advance to the Korean Series without any problems.
▲There was a protest against the 5th inning ball decision
– Going back to the situation at the bottom of the 5th inning, I thought it was a very important game as it was the first game of the playoffs. So that part (being excited) came out. What made me regain my composure was when coach (Kang In-kwon) came out to the field and gave me a calm down. Also, I knew that the job of being a referee was very difficult, so I thought about various things and immediately found my composure.
▲ What was the injured area like after pitching
? I felt very strong after pitching 6 innings. There is still some discomfort in the nerve area, but I am in a condition where I can overcome it, so there is no major worry in the future.토토사이트
▲What do you think of your first fall baseball game in Korea and the feeling that it continues to be discussed with former manager Seon Dong-yeol?
– I think I am very blessed to be able to play baseball in the first fall baseball game in Korea amidst the cheers of a packed audience. I know that Seon Dong-yeol’s name is mentioned a lot. Every time he goes on the mound, he throws with the desire to become just a little bit like him.
▲Overwhelmed Alford, who was weak during the season
– I think Alford performed well for me because I always competed against Alford in unfavorable counts throughout the season. Today, I think my attempt to control the score well from the beginning worked well.